Monday, December 10, 2012

Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

Getting ready for finals week has been hectic, and though I have been able to try out some great new recipes I haven't had any time to write about them.. So sorry about the backlog. 

I pinned this recipe from Daydream Kitchen a long time ago, but I found it and tried it the other night. It was awesome. I went from two pieces of frozen chicken breast to a delicious meal in less than an hour. One of my biggest problems with cooking dinner is that I usually never actually know where I'm going to be that night or when I will get home. Even on nights I plan on being home to make something for dinner, I usually forget to take the ingredients (usually chicken) out of the freezer. Luckily, I have found an excellent solution to this predicament. First of all, when I buy a pack of chicken, I pound out the breasts so they are a little bit thinner, then I wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in a freezer bag to protect from the frigid air. This makes it so I can take one or two pieces at a time without having to defrost the whole lot. The trick to defrosting them isn't really much of a trick, but if you fill a bowl with hot water and submerge the chicken breast for twenty minutes, switching the water halfway through, the chicken with be defrosted. Then you can try out any chicken recipe, like my George Foreman Lemon-Garlic Chicken or the BBQ George Foreman Recipe that I am hoping to post in the next few days.  But if you don't have a George Foreman, this Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken recipe is sure to please

According to the original recipe:

“A quick, easy chicken recipe for days when you don’t want to spend time in the kitchen. Even finicky people will eat it. Goes great with traditional potatoes or rice.”

Ingredients

    • 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 3 teaspoons olive oil

Directions


Preheat oven to 500°F and lightly grease a casserole dish. I placed a layer of tinfoil down first then sprayed it with cooking spray which helped a lot when it came time to clean up.

In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.  Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar.
Place chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes. 

15 comments:

  1. I have this in the oven now... can't wait to try it! Thanks for the super easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This was delish!! I sauteed onion then added the garlic to the pan for just a bit. Since we're a fam of 5 I had cut my "fat" chicken breasts in half so they only cooked for 15 minutes and it was perfectly done! I did double the brown sugar but not the fresh garlic since my youngest isn't a fan. However, I did sprinkle the chicken with a pepper/garlic seasoning before putting the garlic/onion/brown sugar mix on. Thank you for the tin foil suggestion! Really saved on clean up!! VERY good recipe and super easy! Will be making this again for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the sautéed onion idea! Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  3. This was a great, quick, and inexpensive dinner. My family enjoyed it and I already had everything on hand. This is a winner! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There doesn't seem to be enough olive oil in the brown sugar mixture. And 500 degrees seems a little high. My smoke alarm just went off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brown sugar/olive oil mixture should be pretty thick.. I think the best way to describe the consistency would be a "paste" ...ish. I am sorry to hear about the smoke alarm! Perhaps something spilled in your oven and the smoke was from it burning off... I am sure you could cook it at a lower temperature, it would just take longer.

      Delete
  5. I am making this now!
    one trick I learned to defrost chicken is actually to submerge them in cold water rather than hot... i found that when i submerged them in hot water they turned kinda dark as if they were slowly cooking... cold water kept them firm and defrosted them quickly surprisingly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent, although too sweet for my taste and I even added extra garlic. will have to try it again with the onion. I also added summer squash to the casserole dish before adding the brown sugar mixture. made garlic mashed red potatoes as a side which really complimented the whole thing and cut the sweetness.

    just a note that you should never use warm/hot water to defrost any meat as it is more likely to expose raw meat to harmful bacteria. submerged in cold running water is best. this is basic food handling rule in any kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing im all about easy meals now a days :) Loved it served with rice & carrots .

    ReplyDelete
  8. telling people to defrost chicken in hot water is just plain dangerous have you never heard of food poisoning?...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Ma has defrosted food in hot water all my life, as I do now. We've never gotten sick...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have defrosted chicken in hot water for over 30 years, and no one has ever gotten sick, but if there's a risk, it's not worth taking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. botan calrose rice for sushi

    ReplyDelete
  12. virtual event platform "You can run your big annual user conference, then follow up around a particular product launch next month, then have a partner summit the month after, and so on," explains Bob Vaez, CEO of EventMobi. "You can continue to engage these customers via different formats, whether in-person or virtual, but they can all happen on the same platform." free event check in software, thank you letter after networking and business to business sales meeting invitation email

    ReplyDelete