Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Kitchen Trick #2: Thawing Frozen Chicken

I talked about this in my Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken post, but thought it would be good to mention it in my Kitchen Tricks for a little easier access.

One of my biggest problems with cooking dinner is that I usually never actually know where I'm going to be that night or when I will get home. Even on nights I plan on being home to make something for dinner, I usually forget to take the ingredients (usually chicken) out of the freezer. 

Luckily, I have found an excellent solution to this predicament. First of all, when I buy a pack of chicken, I pound out the breasts so they are a little bit thinner, then I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer bag to protect from the frigid air. This makes it so I can take one or two pieces at a time without having to defrost the whole lot. 

The trick to defrosting them isn't really much of a trick, but if you fill a bowl with warm water and submerge the chicken breast for 20 minutes, switching the water out halfway through, the chicken will be defrosted.



No comments:

Post a Comment