Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Microwave Coffee Cake


Last night I made a bit of a mistake while trying to make a little snack. I decided to make Microwave Mac and Cheese, but I only had shredded mozzarella cheese... So I thought, "hmm, I'll try something new and different." To say the least, it didn't turn out. It was like having a big lump of cheese with some noodles mixed in. Sooo don't try that at home, stick with cheddar.

Aside from that little debacle, the microwave has been my best friend in college. In the dorms it is much easier to heat something up in the microwave than to stand around looking like a looney in front of the oven. Plus it is easy and quick and I actually knew how to use it. This year, we didn't have one in our apartment for the first few weeks, I really don't know how people got along before the invention of the microwave. Luckily, Dave bought me one for our six month anniversary (romantic right?).

So speaking of microwaves, the other day I was sitting around the apartment and wanted something sweet, but still easy. Obviously I went straight to Pinterest and found this tasty treat, a five minute mug o' coffee cake. The original recipe has some really great pictures, but personally I hate when there are big pictures and the recipe is sandwiched between the graphics because I always feel like I am missing something. Anyways, I think it turned out pretty good, and my roommate Pat liked it too.

Microwave Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp Butter 
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
  • A few drops of Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 cup Flour
  • 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
For the crumb topping:
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Grab a mug and add 1 Tbsp. butter.  Place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften the butter (just soften, don't melt it.)

Stir in 2 Tbsp. sugar until it is fluffy and creamy, about 30 seconds. Add egg--the original recipe recommends scrambling the egg in a small dish and splitting it in half between two coffee cake mugs (which is why Pat got to try a mug full :P), but she also says you can axe the egg altogether, but without it your coffee cake will be less cake-y and more crumbly. 

Stir in 2 Tbsp Sour Cream and a few drops of vanilla. Then stir in 1/4 cup flour and 1/8 tsp. baking powder.

For the crumb topping, in a separate bowl add 1 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp flour, 1 Tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon, "smoosh" it together with your fingers then add it to the mug.

Place the mug in the microwave and cook for 1 min. Check the mug, then you can continue adding 10 seconds at a time until it is done. For me it was hard to tell how cooked it was through the crumb topping, so I mixed it up. Not only did this help me check for done-ness, it was awesome because then the cinnamon and brown sugar were mixed into the cake part and it tasted delicious.



1 comment: