Friday, November 9, 2012

Apple Cider Pancakes

Ok, excuse the picture on this one, my phone was in the other room and I was too hungry to get up and get it so I used Dave's phone and his camera is even worse than mine.

According to Dave, these are "possibly" the best homemade pancakes he had ever had... I think that means they were the best, that's just the way he talks. I have to admit, this isn't really a "college" recipe, and it was a little more involved than I thought at first glance, but I had some apple cider in the fridge and saw this recipe on Pinterest so I wanted to try it out. I really liked them a lot, a bit more work than the "just add water" pancake mixes, but they were delicious so I would vote that they were worth it.


Apple Cider Pancakes

Adapted from Tokyo Terrace

*This recipe makes a large batch. I actually cut the original recipe's proportions of the dry ingredients in half so I didn't end up with a huge tub of pancake mix leftover. I still have enough for two more batches if I'm feeling up to making them again.

Dry Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups white flour (I just used 3 cups of white flour)
  • 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
Place ingredients in an airtight container and store until ready to use. Or continue with the recipe, which (according to the original) makes a nice amount of pancakes for 2 very hungry people or 4 not so hungry people.... According to my calculations, this made about 6 medium sized pancakes. So, unless you are feeding birds or small children, I think it feeds 2 normally hungry people or 3 not so hungry people (We did actually save one for Dave's roommate). But that might just be because I am a breakfast person and therefore am really hungry in the mornings.

Wet Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute)
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 cup apple cider (or apple juice if you can’t find cider)
  • 1 egg, separated
  • Unsalted Butter (both for cooking, and for topping them)
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:


Place 1 cup of dry mix in a large bowl. 
In a small bowl, whisk the egg white, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1 tsp honey and 1/2 cup cider. In another small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 2 tbsp olive oil. Whisk the wet ingredients in one bowl until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry mix and stir until just combined. It will be lumpy and, at least for me, a little thinner than traditional pancake mix consistency. Don't get rid of the lumps.
If you don't know how to cook pancakes, where have you been living all of your life? In the case you have been living under a rock, the original recipe provided these instructions: Heat 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil in a medium pan. Measure 1/3 cup of the batter and pour into the pan. When you start to see small bubbles on the top of the pancakes and the edges are beginning to cook, flip the pancake. Be sure to add more butter or oil as needed so the pancakes don’t stick.
The original recommended: while the pancakes are still warm, top with some butter and allow it to melt over the top of the pancakes. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture and eat!
I tried it, it was ok, but I would recommend syrup. That's just the way I like my pancakes. The bacon Dave made on the side was an awesome addition as well. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment