Thursday, November 15, 2012

"Healthier" Sugar Cookies

As I was watching Harry Potter on TV last night, I got the urge to make some cookies. I don't really know why because I am not especially notorious for my cookie baking prowess, but the urge hit so I googled sugar cookie recipes and found this. The title claimed that they are healthier, but I don't think the fact that they have yogurt instead of oil really makes that big of a difference when you are eating a sugar cookie.... But hey, it was worth a try.

And if it is "healthier" that means you can eat more without the guilt........ right?


Healthier Easy Sugar Cookies

Adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl. (I saw something on pinterest recommending using cornstarch in place of baking powder for fluffier cookies, but I didn't try it)

Beat butter, yogurt, and sugar together until smooth (Once again had to resort to a wooden spoon instead of an electric mixer, but I've found I like it..... makes me feel in touch with my ancestors). Beat in vanilla extract. 

Mix in flour mixture until just incorporated. I don't know if I did something wrong earlier in the recipe, or if I was just impatient, but I had some issues incorporating the flour, so I added a couple more tablespoons of yogurt to help with cohesiveness... they still turned out alright so there's that.

Roll dough into "walnut-sized" balls and place 2-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake in preheated oven until golden, 8-10 minutes. Let stand on baking sheets two minutes before removing to cook on wire racks (or in my case, due to lack of said wire-rack, a piece of tinfoil)

No comments:

Post a Comment