Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

For some reason, cooking steak scares me.  Well.... I'm not sure "scares" is the right word... but chicken is my go-to, and beef just seems a little too grown up for me.

I have no idea why.  It doesn't make sense.  I've helped my mom make steaks for the family a million times, and I love beef, but for some reason I just usually gravitate towards poultry recipes.

BUT, last night I stepped outside the box.  Well... I actually used a chicken stir fry recipe from My Fridge Food, but I adjusted it to use the tri-tip my mom had defrosted by switching the cup of chicken broth for beef broth.

Side note: that Fridge Food website is actually a really cool resource.  You check off the things you have in your pantry and it finds recipes that incorporate the things you already have.  Really good for those times you don't want to take a trip to the grocery store, or you want to find new ways to use the ingredients you already have.

As far as reviews, the roommates (my parents) absolutely loved it.  My dad couldn't stop eating.  Luckily it is pretty low cal (the original recipe, with chicken, said it was 250 calories per serving--not sure how substituting beef changes that).  The only thing he wanted was more broccoli, he couldn't stop talking about how much he loved the flavor.  We served it with white rice and he was scraping the pan to get every last bit of sauce to mix with his rice.  I would also recommend tenderizing the beef beforehand.  Overall, I was absolutely pleased with this meal.  It took about 15 minutes, it was super easy, and it was delicious... the only problem was my parents said they aren't going to ever let me move out now.


Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Serves 4
Cook Time: about 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. beef, cut into 1-inch cubes (I used tri-tip)
  • 2 tsps finely chopped ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 cup beef broth (I used beef bullion cubes according to directions on the label)
  • 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 2 tsp sugar 
  • Broccoli florets, as desired (recipe called for 2 cups, but I would definitely recommend using more)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
Directions:
Spray a 12-in nonstick skillet with cooking spray (or use a seasoned Wok).  Heat over medium-high heat and add beef, garlic, and ginger.  Sauté 2-3 minutes.

Add 3/4 cup broth, soy sauce, and sugar.  Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring twice.

Add broccoli.  Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked and broccoli are crisp-tender.

Mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup broth; stir into skillet.  Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened.

I told him to give a thumbs up
if he liked it.... I think he is a fan

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for cooking something you've been a bit daunted to do so in the past. Your beef broccoli stir fry sure looks yummy. Guessing from your dad's facial expression, he must have found it wonderful too! Thank you for sharing the recipe! I'm definitely going to try that out. Cheers!

    Bob Andrews @ Chili House

    ReplyDelete