Monday, January 13, 2014

Crumble-Topped Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze


For some reason I really felt like baking this weekend.  I was looking up recipes all week, and I was excited to try some of them out, but then I ended up making a last minute decision to take a little road trip to the Bay Area to help a friend house sit.  I make enough of a mess in my own kitchen, I did not want to dirty a complete stranger's house with my attempt at a culinary masterpiece.

But when I got home on sunday night, I decided to make something to bring into work to help brighten up the monotony of a monday morning.  I went with this coffee cake because it sounded fantastic, and I'd wanted to make it last week when I found out I had no flour.  Definitely a good choice.  It got rave reviews at work, and my parents loved it (they helped themselves to big servings as soon as it came out of the oven).


Crumble-Topped Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
Recipe from: Damn Delicious

Serves 12 (generously)

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup Greek Yogurt 

For the Crumb Topping:

  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

For the Brown Sugar Glaze:

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.

Prepare crumble topping by combining sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.  Whisk in melted butter.  Add flour and stir with a rubber spatula, just until moist. Spread out mixture on a large piece of parchment paper to dry until ready to use (I kind of dumped it out and left it in a big lump.  I would definitely recommend breaking it up better so it dries a little more.  It worked out, just required a little more work crumbling at the end, I just think it could have been easier).

In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).  Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.  Beat in vanilla extract.

With the mixer on low speed, add greek yogurt and dry ingredients alternately in 3 parts.  Begin and end with the dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.

Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.  Crumble topping over batter, using fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

To make glaze, combine brown sugar, vanilla, and water.  Whisk together until smooth.  When the cake is done, let cool for 10 minutes, and drizzle glaze evenly over the top.  Serve warm.

2 comments: