Monday, April 1, 2013

Spaghetti Squash

I've been wanting to try making Spaghetti Squash for a while now, but couldn't get the courage to try it out. Thankfully, my Super Bowl cook off champion Courtney had some experience with it and helped me out. We were on the phone with her family a couple times while making this, they grow squash so they make it a lot. We were also checking out this page about how to cook spaghetti squash either pre-cut or whole.

I was expecting it to be a little more "spaghetti-ish" but it is a little crunchy... I still really enjoyed it, it just took some getting use to. I think it is really all about the sauce. We made the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce I posted a few weeks ago, sautéed some peppers and onions, and made Turkey Meatballs to go along with it... We even made some of Courtney's Pizza Crescents as an appetizer. It. Was. Awesome. Probably one of the best meals I've ever made. AND it was super healthy, which felt even better after the rough workout we'd had earlier that day.

I would definitely recommend giving this a try.


Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients:

  • Spaghetti Squash (which is actually a thing! I thought this was the name of the recipe because it was like pasta, but it is actually a type of squash... learn something new every day!)
  • Oregano
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • (Pretty much anything you think would taste good)

Directions:

We chose to cut it first and cleaned out the seeds and gunk. We then sprayed each half with olive oil, then sprinkled it with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder, and then put a tablespoon of butter into the area we had hollowed out.

Cook at 375 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour until tender. We cooked ours for about an hour, which softened it up enough to separate the strands by running a fork lengthwise. To soften it up just a little bit more we popped it into the microwave for two minutes.


1 comment:

  1. I love Spaghetti Squash, but it never comes out that great (I usually just microwave it for fix-six minutes). I'm going to try it in the oven next time! Thanks so the recipe!

    P.S. - That roasted red pepper sauce sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete