Monday, October 29, 2012

Balsamic Chicken and Stove-top Potatoes

I find a lot of chicken recipes on Pinterest, but usually the time it takes to bake really turns me off. When I finally get home after a long day I am usually starving and I do not want to wait another 45 minutes to an hour to finally have something ready to eat. Usually this means a stop at the dining hall or something involving pasta.... or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (gourmet, I know). But I think time is the biggest enemy to making a real, tasty, healthy(-er) meal at any point in life, especially college.

The other night I had some extra time because I got out of a class early and was able to get a real lunch, so I wasn't as hungry right away. Dave had class, so I decided to make him something for when he got out and I had a little time to kill... not that that stopped me from snacking on grapes and slices of bell pepper as I cooked.

Balsamic Chicken
Original Recipe: Frugal Follies
Ingredients:
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 large onion, cut into eighths (I sliced it, but eighths would probably be quicker)
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch slices (I used an orange one)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  

Cover the bottom and sides of a baking pan (I used a glass 13X9 in.) with aluminum foil (technically not necessary, but you will thank me when you have to clean up).  Place chicken breasts in the pan and cover with the slices of onions and pepper.  Sprinkle garlic on top.  In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, sugar, oil, and pepper.  Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.

The chicken and veggies would be fine on their own, or with a side salad, but I whipped up these tasty potatoes my mom taught me to make when she was visiting for my surgery. Technically I don't have a recipe for these, and I was mostly just winging it, but I've found the best way to cook something new is just throwing a bunch of stuff in the pot and hoping it turns out right.


Stove-Top Potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 3-4 large potatoes (any kind will work)
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Italian Seasoning
Directions:
Heat a pot or skillet on the stove-top over medium heat. Chop potatoes into cubes, roughly the same size. I cut them in half, cut the halves in half, and then cut them into squares. Place them in the pan and cover with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, or until all the potatoes are lightly covered with oil. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Reduce heat to medium low and cover, stirring often. Cook until a fork can be easily inserted (I didn't have a timer going, but I think it was about 20-30 minutes).

Dave Approved :)


No comments:

Post a Comment