Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Best College Breakfast

This is my favorite thing to get for breakfast at the local family diner down the street from my apartment. Before noon its only $2.95, and it is the BEST... not to mention the best hangover cure ever.

I got the idea to make it myself when I was Skyping my best friend Ethan last year.  Not that it is a complicated idea, I just never thought about getting the frozen hashbrowns. Now I keep a bag in my freezer at all times for those rough mornings after a night out, or even when I just have some extra time to enjoy a tasty breakfast like I did this morning. This is for a single serving, but it could be made for more... Cooking over-easy eggs is (as I hear every time I ask my mom to make them for me) one of the more difficult techniques, but it is definitely my favorite because the yolks are tasty when they mix with the hashbrowns. If you like a little more ease, a different type of egg-cooking would probably be just as tasty.


The Best College Breakfast

Ingredients:

  • Frozen Hashbrowns (I use Ore-Ida)
  • Onion (chopped)
  • 2 eggs
  • Olive Oil
  • Two slices of bread and some butter


Directions:

Heat about a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Throw in a handful of frozen hashbrowns. You can cook them according to the package, but I have found it isn't always the best. I prefer to use oil (and sometimes water) to cook them, adding more if needed. Cover the hashbrowns and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. I usually start cooking the onions at the same time, but I keep them separate in the pan at first to make sure they are cooked enough. After five minutes add a little more oil then flip the hashbrowns and allow to cook a few more minutes.  Mix with the grilled onions when they are starting to slightly brown.

Start toasting bread.

Push the hashbrowns and onions to one side and allow to keep cooking. Add a little more oil to make sure the eggs wont stick.  Crack the eggs in the pan (it is easier if they stay separate, but its not the end of the world if they touch). Allow eggs to cook for about 1-2 minutes, until most of the white is cooked. Flip carefully. Let cook about one more minute and then remove from heat.

Butter the toast, put everything on a plate, grab a cup of orange juice, a mug or hot cocoa or coffee, and dig in!

Personally, I like putting the eggs on top of the hashbrowns, putting some ketchup on everything, mixing it all together and then putting it on the toast. Yummm :)









No comments:

Post a Comment