Monday, September 9, 2013

Quick and Easy Scones


So I have a couple food obsessions:
  • Onions and Bell Peppers (could pretty much eat them in anything)
  • Chai Lattes (I am trying to start liking coffee because I am getting old and it seems like something I should do--and Alexa is pressuring me--but I am in LOVE with Chai)
  • Croissants (soft, buttery flaky ones... like the ones from Sam's Club that Lex wouldn't split with me today)
  • Mozzarella sticks (pretty much anything with melted cheese if I'm being honest)
  • Scones (The dining hall at my school makes the most incredible, mouth-watering scones... I think I could sustain myself eating them exclusively for the rest of my life)
I mean, in order to have a blog about food, I feel like you have to love eating... but there are a few things that I just cannot turn down, and these are some of them.

So now that I've whet your appetite (gotcha), I have another little story to tell.  This is my last semester in undergrad, so I am trying not to buy extra odds and ends for my apartment.  Unfortunately this does not apply to Alexa, who just started her Masters here (jeez I am talking about her a lot today... I hang out with her way too much apparently).  Anyways, she has been decorating her new apartment for the past month or so, so we have made a couple trips to the local thrift store.  

Now... I am a sucker for thrift stores.  Maybe it is because of my obsession with Pinterest, but I go into a thrift store and think, "Oh ya.. I can totally make something cool out of this broken chair."

Unfortunately, I have essentially ZERO creative talent.... so really I just walk around whimsically looking at junk I want but have no use for.

Not that THAT stops me.

On one particular excursion, I found a cookbook for like a dollar entitled "Microwaving for 1 or 2."  Considering the fact that I do usually cook for myself I thought it would be a good buy.  Flipping through I found some interesting ideas.  I might try them out and see how they go, but there was one I HAD to try.

Scones.

They didn't turn out quite how I was expecting (Realistically.... my expectations were probably a little high... I don't think the dining hall bakes their scones in a microwave), but with jam on top they were actually a great snack. 



Microwave Scones
Recipe from: Microwaving for 1 or 2 by Susan Brown Draudt

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 1/2 sugar
  • 1 Tbsp butter or margarine 
  • 3 Tbsp dried currants or raisins (I left this part out)
  • 3 Tbsp milk
  • 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:

In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and 2 teaspoon sugar.  Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  

Mix in currants or raisins, milk, vanilla, and egg.  When dough is smooth, kneed 4-6 times.  Shape in a 5-inch circle.

Place on a flat microwave-safe plate.  Cut into 6 wedges.  In a small dish, mix together remaining sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle mixture on top of scones.

Microwave on 70% (Medium-high) 1-2 minutes, or just until dry.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Serve with Strawberry Jam (and whipped cream)


2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhh, just might have to make some of these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the butter have to be cold or will softened butter be ok to incorporate

    ReplyDelete