Monday, August 26, 2013

Zucchini Mania


So you know how I mentioned that my friend Alexa has a neighbor with an awesome garden? Well I went over for a visit today, and we decided we needed to do a little something-something with her zucchini surplus.

Conveniently, she had just found an excellent Healthy Zucchini Muffin recipe on Pinterest.  I almost messed it up by just reading down the ingredients list instead of following the directions... luckily caught myself before things got too out of hand (I re-ordered the ingredients for you in this edition, but make sure you still follow the directions).

I was always a really picky eater growing up, and never would have tried zucchini anything, but college has really expanded my palate. Good thing, cause these muffins were the BOMB. Even after stuffing my face with Olive Garden it was hard to limit myself to just one... and even though we used oil instead of applesauce, they aren't THAT bad for you.

......At least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)


Healthy Zucchini Muffins
Recipe from Julie's Eats and Treats

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 c. grated zucchini
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 c. applesauce, unsweetened (We used Canola Oil)
  • Cinnamon and sugar for topping (optional) 
 Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside. In a different bowl, combine grated zucchini, eggs, vanilla and applesauce (or oil... applesauce is healthier, we just didn't have any). Stir well to combine the wet ingredients. 

Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture until just combined. The original recipe warned, "Be careful not to overwork this - it will lead to dense muffins and no one wants those!" (That means all the little bumps do not need to be mixed in Alexa).
Fill lined or greased muffins tins about 3/4 full. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on for topping. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment