Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Light Cajun Chicken Pasta

So I spent the past week with a house full of college boys. Haha I'm trying to think of something to follow that with, but I really can't. I was visiting my best friend at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Institute, so I got to hear all about flying and being a pilot all week (yes, that is every bit as nerdy as it sounds). Anyways, I wanted to make them dinner one night as a thanks for letting me crash with them, so obviously I had to find something really impressive (but still easy and fast and cheap).  I've made this twice before, and I think it might be my favorite recipe yet.


This entire meal cost about $20, served five people with leftovers, it's tasty, its light, and it's relatively healthy. Plus it impressed the boys, so that was a win.  I found the recipe at Skinny Taste, which is an awesome resource for healthy, delicious recipes (and wayy better pictures than mine).


Skinny Cajun Chicken Pasta

Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces uncooked linguine (I used angel hair)
  • 1 pound chicken breast strips
  • 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
  • Garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced (I don't like mushrooms or tomatoes, so I left them out)
  • 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp light cream cheese
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • Cooking Spray


Directions:

Prep the vegetables. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt. Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions. (I started cooking the pasta about halfway through sautéing the veggies so everything was done around the same time)

In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside.

Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.

Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.

Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.

Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.

Return chicken to skillet; add salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add pasta; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one I found at http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cajun-chicken-pasta-on-lighter-side.html#more

      I try them out and make some adjustments, try to make it as easy to follow as possible. I'd love to share ideas though!

      BTW, According to the recipe, its about 325 calories per serving (about 1.5 cups)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love Cajun Chicken and the recipes of cajun chicken, I eat with enjoy.

    ReplyDelete